What are the requirements to apply?
Application to the MA* or Certificate** in program evaluation requires the following items:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Official copies of transcripts from each institution attended
- Three letters of recommendation from academic or professional contacts who can attest to your potential for success in this graduate program and a career in program evaluation
- A personal statement addressing the following: your personal reasons for your interest in program evaluation; related work experience; how an MA in program evaluation will help you attain your career goals; personal attributes that will be an asset to a career in program evaluation; personal qualities or experiences that will help you succeed in and complete an online degree program; and why you are seeking a graduate degree in Program Evaluation.
- English proficiency exam, if non-native speaker (i.e. TOEFL or IELTS). Refer to the MSU Office of Admissions for further details.
- GRE scores are NOT required
Anyone interested in taking one or more courses as a non-degree seeking student, contact us regarding course availability and complete the MSU online Lifelong Education Application status through the university.
* The M.A program is not available to residents of Canada.
**The letter or recommendation and personal statement requirement is waived for applicants who are currently enrolled in an MA or PhD program at MSU. These applicants need only submit a letter from their program adviser or chairperson indicating that the student is in good standing and that their faculty agree the certificate is an appropriate adjunct training opportunity.
What is the deadline for admission?
We are now accepting applications for Fall 2018. The first day of the fall semester is Wednesday, August 29, 2018.
Early admission deadline: January 15, 2018
Regular deadline: June 1, 2018. All transcripts, letters of recommendation, and English language test scores (for non-U.S. citizens) must be received by June 15, 2018.
Apply early. Students are admitted until the program reaches capacity.
How do I apply?
Once admissions officially open, follow these steps to apply:
- Complete the online MSU graduate application. Master's program code: 7735; Certificate program code: 7754. A nonrefundable $50 application fee is required. No personal or academic statemented is needed for the MSU application. Leave those fields blank.
- Complete the psychology department's online Program Evaluation application. In the application, include the following:
- A personal statement describing your interest in pursuing graduate education in program evaluation (see requirements section above for details).
- Name, title, and email address for three recommendation letter writers. An electronic request will be sent to the letter writers once you submit your application.
- Request official transcripts from each institution attended. The official transcripts must be sent by the appropriate officials from each institution directly to the Department of Psychology at the following address: Program Evaluation Graduate Program, Department of Psychology, 316 Physics Road Rm 262, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824.
- For non-US citizens, have English language proficiency test scores (TOEFL or IELTS) sent to the MSU Office of Admissions directly from the testing agency. MSU's TOEFL code is 1465. Also, review MSU's international requirements here: https://admissions.msu.edu/admission/international_requirements.asp
What happens after I submit my application?
- The business day following the application deadline, completed application packets are submitted to the admission committee for review.
- Applicants receive notification of the committee’s decision between 2 and 4 weeks after the application deadline. Official notice is sent by e-mail.
- Credentials are forwarded to the MSU Office of Admissions for final review and approval following committee review.
- Admitted students receive an admission letter from the MSU Office of Admissions approximately one month after notification of acceptance.
- Expect the process to take approximately two months from the application deadline to final University admission.
- Admitted students who have accepted the offer of admission receive enrollment and orientation information by e-mail 4 - 6 weeks prior to the start of the fall semester.