What are the requirements to apply?
Application to the MA* or Certificate** in program evaluation requires the following items:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Official copies of transcripts from each institution attended.
- A minimum of three letters of recommendation from academic or professional contacts who can attest to your potential for success in this graduate program and a career in program evaluation. If you exited a graduate program in the past calendar year without completing the degree, one letter of recommendation must come from that program's director/chairperson.
- A personal statement addressing the following: your personal reasons for your interest in program evaluation; related work experience; how an MA or certificate in program evaluation will help you attain your career goals; personal attributes that will be an asset to a career in program evaluation; personal qualities or experiences that will help you succeed in and complete an online program; and why you are seeking a graduate degree/certificate in Program Evaluation.
- English proficiency exam, if non-native speaker (i.e. TOEFL or IELTS). Refer to the MSU Office of Admissions for further details.
- GRE scores are NOT required
Anyone interested in taking one or more courses as a non-degree seeking student, contact us regarding course availability and complete the MSU online Lifelong Education Application status through the university.
* The M.A program is not available to residents of Canada.
**These requirements are waived for applicants who are currently enrolled in an MA or PhD program at MSU. These applicants need only submit a letter from their program adviser or chairperson indicating that the student is in good standing and that their faculty agree the certificate is an appropriate adjunct training opportunity.
What is the deadline for admission?
We are currently accepting applications for Fall 2019. The first day of the fall 2019 semester is Wednesday, August 28, 2019.
Early admission deadline: January 15, 2019
Regular deadline: June 1, 2019. All transcripts, letters of recommendation, and English language test scores (for non-U.S. citizens) must be received by June 15, 2019.
Apply early. Students are admitted until the program reaches capacity.
How do I apply?
Once admissions officially open, follow these steps to apply:
- Complete the online MSU graduate application. Master's program code: 7735; Certificate program code: 7754. A nonrefundable $50 application fee is required.
- Log in to your account at beaspartan.msu.edu to upload your personal statment and letter writers' contact information (see requirements section above for details).
- Request official transcripts from each institution attended. The official transcripts must be sent by the appropriate officials from each institution directly to the Department of Psychology at the following address: Program Evaluation Graduate Program, Department of Psychology, 316 Physics Road Rm 262, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824. Your application is not complete until we receive your official transcripts.
- For non-US citizens without permanent residency status, have English language proficiency test scores (TOEFL or IELTS) electrnically sent to the MSU Office of Admissions directly from the testing agency. MSU's TOEFL code is 1465. Also, review MSU's international requirements here: https://admissions.msu.edu/admission/international_requirements.asp . Do not have testing reports mailed to the university or Department of Psychology.
What happens after I submit my application?
Admission to the MA or certificate in program evaluation requires a three-step review process:
- The program admission committee reviews the applicant's materials. The committee's recommendation (accept or deny) is forwarded to the MSU College of Social Science for review.
- The MSU College of Social Science reviews the application and forwards their recommendation (admit or deny) to the MSU Office of Admissions.
- The MSU Office of Admission reviews the applicant's credentials and makes an official admission decision.
All applicants receive a decision letter by email from the Department of Psychology. Applicants admitted to the program receive an official acceptance letter via mail from the MSU Office of Admissions. The application review/admission process takes approximiately 4-6 weeks.